No products in the cart.Start Shopping
If you’re looking to purchase commercial gym equipment, that likely means congratulations are in order. Our team of health and fitness professionals understands what an undertaking opening a gym can be, and we want you to know we are here for you – every step of the way!
At Archon Fitness, we don’t just sell equipment. We establish relationships that help you succeed. Contact us at any time in your journey to ask questions, think through alternatives, or get advice based on our years of experience and brand knowledge.
Before you sign on the dotted line and invest in commercial gym equipment, you need to think about the following :
Who’s Your Audience?
It may seem like a strange thing to think about when considering commercial equipment, but it may save you some time and money.
The first thing to think about before purchasing equipment is, “Who is this equipment for?” No one can be all things to all people. No gym can be, either. What’s your niche market? Your specialty? Who is your target audience?
Answering these questions from the beginning will help determine everything from the color scheme, classes, and amenities you offer to the type of equipment you need to purchase.
Assess Your Space
How large is your space? You certainly don’t want to fill every inch of it with only exercise equipment and machines.
Before you purchase equipment, make sure you have exact measurements of the equipment in which you’re interested. There’s nothing worse than having a new piece of equipment arrives that doesn’t fit your intended space. Save time, money, and frustration by putting it all down in pencil first!
Do some homework and layout your space on paper, complete with equipment dimensions. Be sure to think through different areas in the gym, like free weights, stretching areas, and cardio machines. What about water stations? Where are the electrical outlets? Are you going to have mirrors mounted on the walls? Are there more social areas available?
This penciled-in layout will help narrow down your equipment list, help you think through the pieces you know you need first, and save you some money in the process.
You’re likely going to need lots of paper and pencils before you settle on your dream layout. That’s ok! That’s what the process is all about, and we can help.
One of the things we hope you notice right away about Archon Fitness is that we don’t just want to sell equipment. We want to help you succeed. We aren’t going to push more on you than your budget can afford. That’s not helpful, and it doesn’t build relationships. You may be surprised to know that we suggest you think strategically and thoughtfully before making a purchase.
Think carefully about your equipment budget. To get the most bang for your buck, you likely need to diversify your equipment. Use your budget wisely.
What might your target audience need most at the outset? This may mean you think about occupancy, too. It’s unlikely your gym will need 10 power cages at the very beginning. Would it be best to purchase one high-quality power cage and then consider a smith machine and a set of hex dumbbells? Equipment diversity is important to your overall success.
You can always add equipment in number and variety throughout the first year to delight your clients with new additions!
Warranties and Maintenance
Once you’ve decided on the pieces you would like to order, do a little research. Make sure the equipment pieces you want to order are commercial-grade, durable, and can withstand continuous use.
Ask about maintenance costs and the most common repairs and repair costs. Make sure you ask about a service package, if appropriate, and whether there are technicians available in your area to service the equipment. Frequent service will save you money in the long run because it increases longevity and reduces breakdowns.
What You Want vs. What You Need
Make a list of equipment that you know you need to have a successful beginning, and then add to that list all the things you eventually want to offer. Most lists of what you need are going to be relatively the same. Equipment you likely have on your needs lists include:
- Training bench: We offer a wide range of training benches. Look for one that’s easily adjustable, easy to clean, and well-constructed. It’s definitely a workhorse of the gym, so you’ll likely need two of these to start.
- Free weights: Dumbbells and kettlebells are two common examples of free weights. If your budget allows it, you may want an entire set of both; however, preferences and workouts have changed in recent years. If you hope to appeal to a range of clientele, you may buy some of one and some of another. You’ll want a rack for those dumbbells, too!
- Pull-Up Frame and Bar: For chin-ups and pull-ups. You may be able to find a squat rack with a pull-up bar attached up top. This will save you on cost and space.
- Treadmill: Since it’s one of the most popular pieces of gym equipment, you are likely looking to purchase at least one treadmill. They’re great for warm-ups, and for some folks, treadmills are the entire reason they’re coming to the gym. Be sure that the treadmill is robust, offers various inclines and speeds, and provides heart rate monitoring. The treadmill is one place you definitely want to invest. You can guarantee it will always take a beating!
- Stationary Bike: The stationary bike has become a gym favorite in recent years. As an alternative to the treadmill and rowing machine, the bike is considered a cardio endurance trainer for sure. Depending on your audience, you may prefer the bike over the rowing machine.
- Rowing Machine: Easier for some members than others, the rowing machine is a great way to diversify your cardio offerings. Since it delivers an overall body workout, the rowing machine is a gym staple.
- Fitness Ball Set: There are lots of ways to use a fitness ball set. Gym-goers expect to see at least a set of medicine balls or slam balls in different weights. Talk with one of our Archon Fitness professionals about which are best sellers to make an informed decision.
- Plyo Box Set: It’s not necessarily a must-have; however, the Plyo Box is one way to diversify your gym equipment. It’s also another more popular item that gym-goers will be looking for when they come to the gym.
- Other items to consider are the accessory pieces that help add to or diversify your exercise options: resistance bands, a rollout wheel, a wooden bar for upper body stretching, not to mention cable machines, lever machines, and Smith machines.
Again, before you buy, think about your gym audience. If you don’t think it’s a necessity initially, it may be a piece you add within the first six months.
Remember, it may take more planning than you thought if this is your first time purchasing commercial-grade equipment for business or home use. Archon Fitness professionals are here to help.
There are certain pieces of equipment you need more than others. Plus, there are pieces that are not necessarily as expected – but can achieve the same goal as a more expensive, larger piece of exercise equipment.
The process of purchasing equipment is unique to every client. We help clients with this process every day. We understand how to take your needs versus your wants and turn both into a reality.
The Archon Difference
Archon is way more than an online retailer for workout equipment. We are a fitness company staffed by a team of passionate professionals dedicated to healthier bodies and healthy minds.
We provide a wide selection of only the highest-quality equipment and offer free shipping on almost all items. When you purchase a piece of workout equipment from us, our relationship is just beginning. Ideally, we start a dialogue.
We want you to know how to effectively and safely use the equipment so you see the results you’re expecting. Communicate with one of our trainers about the equipment you’ve purchased, and let us design a workout for you that will help you meet your fitness goals.
We are here for you. We want you to succeed. Whether you’re just beginning your journey toward fitness or you are well on your way to healthier living, you are important to us. Check out our website and start your relationship with Archon – TODAY.