No products in the cart.Start Shopping
At Archon Fitness, our team of fitness professionals understands the importance of finding the workout equipment and gear that best suits your unique goals.
Finding the perfect slam ball weight depends solely on you. Like most workout equipment, choosing the best and most effective equipment depends on several personal factors. What’s your age, gender, strength level, and most importantly, why are you using the slam ball?
To find the appropriate weight for your workout goals, carefully think through your particular situation. If you’re focusing on a cardio workout, choose a ball between 8lbs – 20lbs so that you have real stamina throughout the exercise to build that increase in cardio. If you’d like to work on strength, depending on your gender, age, and current strength level, choose a slam ball between 20lbs – 40lbs.
Some elite athletes choose even heavier slam balls, but we recommend you start at a lighter, safer weight and work your way up for the typical workout.
Remember, unlike other fitness equipment sites, Archon’s professional trainers and health enthusiasts are available to listen to your goals and help you pick the equipment that will help you get where you want to be in your fitness journey.
Why a Slam Ball?
Slam balls, sometimes called medicine balls and vice versa, are weighted, heavy-duty balls designed to be used for throwing exercises – thus giving them the moniker “slam balls.” As a no-bounce ball with a heavy-duty rubber shell that softens impact, slam balls are versatile and can be used in place of a medicine ball for various exercises.
Most often, you’ll see slam balls used in high-intensity functional training workouts (HIFT). These exercises, which differ from HIIT exercises, utilize aerobic and muscle-strengthening exercises and various activity durations that may or may not incorporate rest.
Slam balls vary in weight from 6lbs – 30lbs for a typical workout and increase by increments of about 5lbs up to 50lbs – even 100lbs.
What Slam Balls Do
Slam balls provide resistance and add weight to dynamic movements. Depending on your exercises, the slam ball targets shoulders, triceps, pecs, calves, back, and core, and forces cardio workout, too. Slamball exercises are developed to engage various angles – including the side, front, or even arching movement.
- Core control: If you’re looking to develop power, strength, and muscular endurance, a slam ball workout may be an invaluable and vital way to diversify and energize your average routine.
- Endurance: If your slam ball exercises are done right, you’ll notice an increase in cardio endurance. One of the most effective (and satisfying) exercises to build on your current cardio workout is to pick the slam ball up off the floor, clean and press it overhead, and then as hard as you can, slam it into the ground, controlling your movement the entire time. This simple, satisfying exercise is guaranteed to build endurance and force your muscles to work together.
- Pro tips: Consider replacing your dumbbell or barbell routine with a slam ball. If you struggle with grip fatigue, the slam ball is a perfect way to achieve the same goal without the frustration of fatigue.
Athletes use slam balls to train for specific motions used within their sport, boosting their overall power. The simple, controlled, repetitive motions help build muscle memory for specific movement within sports, from running to basketball and even football.
What to Look For
Our Archon Fitness Slam Balls are textured for optimal grip and covered in a durable shell. Strengthen your fitness ability as you grip, toss, and slam. Our slam balls are ideal for home gyms, personal training studios, functional fitness, and Cross-Functional Box Gyms.
Archon Fitness Slam Balls are sold individually or as a set and are color-coded for easy identification.
Slam Ball Exercises
If you are a beginner and are unsure of your fitness level, try these exercises first without using a slam ball. You can add the slam ball and increase the weight as you feel more confident.
As satisfying as it always is, you can exercise effectively with a slam ball without throwing it on the ground. Activate your muscle groups and get your heart pumping with these favorite, tried-and-true slam ball exercises.
Overhead Lunges: Holding a slam ball over your head as you execute these lunges adds a core and shoulder burn to the expected glute and quad workout.
- Stand tall and use good posture. Hold the slam ball directly over your head with your arms fully extended.
- Step forward and gently lower your back knee to the ground. Be sure to hold the slam ball in a full extension and over your head the entire time. Keep the shin of your front leg vertical.
- Step back up to your standing position and repeat with the other leg.
Do as many reps as you can. Then, rest for one minute. Repeat for five total rounds.
Single-Leg Toe Touch: This exercise isolates your hamstrings and glutes, but the surprise is the engagement of your core. Use this exercise to improve overall balance, too.
- Stand on one leg. Hold your slam ball in your hands at chest height.
- Bend at the waist, extending one leg behind you while reaching out and touching the toe of your other leg with the ball.
- Bending the knee a little is ok, but try to keep it to a minimum.
- Stand up. Switch legs. Repeat.
Air Squats: This classic glute and quad burner gets a little extra resistance from your slam ball. Maintain good posture by keeping your torso upright throughout the movement.
- With your feet hip-width apart, hold your slam ball in front of your chest.
- Squat as low as you can while keeping your back straight, chest up, and heels on the ground.
- Stand up to full extension with your hips extended and legs straight.
Ball Slams: We couldn’t let you go without one good slam exercise!
- Pick the ball up from the floor, just in front of you.
- Keep your back straight. Squat down and pick up the ball over your head. Use your legs and hips to “jump” the ball over your head like a barbell clean.
- Slam the ball on the ground as hard as you can.
- Catch it in a fluid motion and repeat.
No matter how hard you try, sometimes it’s hard to get it right all the time. Knowing the most common mistakes makes it easier to recognize when something may be “off.”
Wrong Equipment Choice: This is one of the easiest mistakes to make. Be sure that you’ve gotten good, solid advice on where to start in your slam ball journey. Before you purchase from the Archon Fitness website, utilize the option of contacting one of our health professionals for some quality advice on starting.
If you’re new to exercise and fitness, start with a smaller weight. If you’re an athlete or well on your fitness journey, a heavier ball may be a better place to begin.
Incorrect Starting Position: Correct positioning isn’t always the position that seems to make the most logical sense. Some may think it makes sense to use momentum to lift the ball. That is actually an easy way to increase your chances of injury.
Keep the ball in front of your feet. Be sure you’re using the correct posture. As always, start slow and use controlled motion. Momentum is not your friend when using a slam ball!
Overarching: When you’re new to slam balls, we do not recommend that you arch your back when bringing the ball over your head. We understand some advanced athletes may do that intentionally; however, if you’re just starting, it’s much safer to engage your core, especially when lifting the ball over your head.
One of the best ways to modify an exercise that uses a slam ball is to start without a slam ball. Increase your reps as you go. Then, add a lighter weight to the movement, gradually increasing the weight as you become more skilled and confident. Beginners may need to take a short break between reps.
To increase the challenge, increase the weight. As you become more confident and skilled in using the slam ball, take fewer breaks (or none at all) in between your repetitions, performing them in rapid succession.
The Archon Difference
Archon is way more than an online retailer for workout equipment. We are a fitness company staffed by a team of passionate professionals dedicated to healthier bodies and healthy minds.
We provide a wide selection of only the highest-quality equipment and offer free shipping on almost all items. When you purchase a piece of workout equipment from us, our relationship is just beginning. Ideally, we start a dialogue.
We want you to know how to effectively and safely use the equipment so you see the results you’re expecting. Communicate with one of our trainers about the equipment you’ve purchased, and let us design a workout for you that will help you meet your fitness goals.
We are here for you. We want you to succeed. Whether you’re just beginning your journey toward fitness or you are well on your way to healthier living, you are important to us. Check out our website and start your relationship with Archon – TODAY.